February 7, 2015

Introduction

Why SAP? well, SAP has been mostly my day-to-day since 2011. I was fortunate to be part of the implementation team and my main task was to prepare the master data which was an advantage to me because I learned a lot about the SAP internals, at least the tables.

During that time I could access the development environment and using SAP/ABAP tutorials from internet I (secretly) began to practice and rapidly learned to program in ABAP. At those times SAP accesses were in some kind of custody because only consultants could make things on it.

Finally when we went into production I started to make reports and send them to production environment. It was not long before my boss gave me assignments to make programs and eventually I reached the point where I was assigned to make not only reports, but enhancements, implement BADis, BAPIs, classes, correct bugs from the implementation, apply SAP notes, modify smartforms, module pools, function modules , ZY tables, and everything that could be done in SAP. Well, not everything but a lot.

These tasks were very helpful because of this I debugged a lot (and I mean a lot) of ABAP code in order to know what to make, what to enhance, what to do, those where harsh and fun times at the same time and boosted a lot my knowledge. As far as I learned, the more I wanted to know, the more I wanted to accomplish. I found a lot of richness about the internals of SAP in those early days nonetheless there's a lot to know and learn there. I can certainly say that after all these years I still learn everyday of SAP and I’m sure that this will not finish soon, I don’t even know if it has an ending. Also in all this journey I have made a lot of mistakes, I’ve had to correct even my own bugs, all for good.

One of the very things I learned from SAP was that is not enough to take a course or take a tutorial, it is necessary to dive inside of it to know the “SAP way”, is not enough to know about the structures and commands but also the functional knowledge which is very important. It’s also very importante to know why SAP does something in a certain way and why it’s implemented in a given way. Those issues are necessary to be productive and efficient and lucky me I found myself in a very nice circumstance where I took advantage of that. Besides all the above it’s a matter of time and hard work, the more experience one get, the more valuable you become.

I always wanted to make a blog on this issue to expose all this discoverings and I regret I didn't start before and I'm really grateful to find John Sonmez blog which has inspired me very much on this issue. 

I have a dairy in Trello which I use to organize and document my activities and I use it since 2012 for SAP and I’d have like to post all those things but I was some kind of afraid (I’m a little now) because I’m writing on my own experience on SAP (my discoveries, my mistakes) and I’m sure that there are better blogs about this theme that would surpass by a long path this one.

Before SAP I worked (and still work) on C#, VB.Net and ASP.Net, I’ve been involved in several projects but my main development work since 2011 has been SAP/ABAP.

Hope this blog helps you in some way.
Please Share it! :)